What Is Hydroxychloroquine 200 mg?
Plaquenil is an antimalarial medicine consisting of an active agent known as Hydroxychloroquine. Hydroxychloroquine ingredient is used to improve and treat malaria. It is also a (DMARD) disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drug, which helps slow down rheumatoid arthritis development and reduces inflammatory conditions in the joints and skin. It shows the drug’s reaction by combatting the organisms that produce malaria. Plaquenil helps in the treatment of lupus and rheumatoid arthritis by reducing immune system activity.
About Hydroxychloroquine 200 mg:
Plaquenil is an antimalarial drug suitable for treating multiple diseases, including rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, and malaria. It helps in improving and treating malaria in areas where it remains defensive to chloroquine. However, the reaction process of Plaquenil is still not known.
It is understood that it works by damaging the cell functions of the parasites that cause malaria. And treating lupus, this medicine helps reduce the immune activity of the body, also helps in decreasing the inflammation in the joints and skin. This medication is appropriate for adults and children’s weighing more than 35kg. Plaquenil appears to be in the form of a tablet with 200mg dosage strength and must store it in a room temperature.
Uses Of Hydroxychloroquine 200 mg:
Some of the uses of Plaquenil tablets include:
- The usage of this medicine depends on what causes you are taking medication. It is an oral medicine taken by mouth, and if you are an adult and consuming Hydroxychloroquine for preventing malaria, then take one Dose once a week and follow the same day of each week.
- The treatment period begins in 1-2 weeks before moving to the malarial area, and continue to take medicine until you stay in that area. The same follows for the four weeks after returning from the malarial zone.
- Suppose the adult takes hydroxychloroquine medicine to treat malaria. In that case, generally, the first Dose is taken straightly, which is followed by n another dose 6-8 hours later and then extra doses on each of the followed two days.
- In children’s cases, hydroxychloroquine medicine’s dosage strength to prevent malaria depends on the children’s weight. After examining doctor will prescribe the amount of Hydroxychloroquine that the child can consume.
- If the patient takes Hydroxychloroquine for treating lupus, it is generally preferred to take it once or twice a day.
- If this drug is used to treat rheumatoid arthritis, take it following the same procedure once or twice a day.
- Consume the medicine as a whole without splitting into halves or breaking them. It is preferred to take a hydroxychloroquine tablet with an adequate meal or a glass of milk to decrease nausea.
- Discuss with your doctor about the treatment course and ask the doctor to explain if you doubt the tablet and treatment.
- Do not alter the dosage strength on your own. Take medicine as per the doctor.
- If Hydroxychloroquine is taken for rheumatoid arthritis, the patient will sense improving its symptoms within six months of consuming it. And if it didn’t show any improvisation, avoid taking the drug and consult with your doctor before getting worse.
- After checking with the doctor and if the doctor finalizes the drug will work, the patient is asked not to halt taking Hydroxychloroquine without discussing it with their doctor. The symptoms will reoccur again if the patient stops taking the hydroxychloroquine medicine.
How to work Hydroxychloroquine 200 mg?
Plaquenil is the most highly used medicine for malaria treatment. The process takes place, and it works by damaging the organisms that give rise to the malarial disease. But for treating rheumatoid arthritis and lupus, the exact way is not well known till now. But it is dependable on how the patient’s body’s immune system works.
The patient will sense the Plaquenil treatment benefits in months or specific weeks if the drug ids are taken for lupus or arthritis. Also, while taking the Plaquenil, do not consume the other product simultaneously because when Plaquenil binds with the other drug, the treatment process will slow down as the patient’s body will absorb it fully.
Dosage Of Hydroxychloroquine 200 mg:
One pill of Plaquenil consists of Hydroxychloroquine 200 mg. The range of dosage strength varies from individual to individual on what condition they are being treated. Take medicine strictly as per the doctor’s prescription. And below are the recommendations of the dosages.
- If the medicine is taken to prevent malaria, 400mg is the dosage strength prescribed once a week on the same day of each following week for the adults. And for children weighing more than 35kg, the prescribed dosage is 400mg and must be taken once a week. Keep in mind that the dosage is followed one week before moving into the malarial area and continuing to take medicine until you stay in that area and 4-8 weeks after escaping from the malarial zone.
- If the Dose is taken for treating rheumatoid arthritis, the prescribed dosage for an adult is 400mg per day. After continuing the dosage for several months, the initiating Dose may be altered to 200mg a day.
- If the drug is taken to treat lupus, the prescribed dosage is 400-600mg per day for adults. Later on, based on the patient’s improving condition, the dosage strength may be reduced to 200-400mg for a day.
Based upon the above-listed condition of the patient’s body, the doctor will prescribe the dosage. Make sure to follow the doctor’s direction and never alter the dosage strength by yourself without consulting the doctor. It may result in reoccurring infection, which might get seriously worse.
The chances of missing the dosage are rare. If you missed the dosage, you are asked to take the tablet as soon as you remember. But make sure there is enough gap of time for the next scheduled dosage. If the next scheduled dosage is near, skip taking the dosage and take it on the next regular time of dosage. Do not double the dosage; there is no point in increasing it.
If you overdose on the medicine and sense dizziness or difficulty breathing, uneven heartbeat, unconscious symptoms, the patients are asked to visit the medical center immediately or visit any local poison center. It might cause serious infection or worsen the health condition of the patient if it is left carelessly.
Some of the warnings to consider while taking this medication are as follows:
- The patients are asked to disclose their medical history to the doctor and briefly discuss the treatment process. After keen observation, the doctor will conclude if you have an allergy to Hydroxychloroquine or any of its related ingredients in the tablet or not.
- If you have a maculopathy disorder or an abnormality eye condition known as retinitis pigmentosa
- If you have a myasthenia gravis sore muscle condition
- If the child weight is not more than 35 kg
- If the patient is breastfeeding or conceived, it is advised to contact your doctor before consuming Plaquenil medication.
- You need to have an eye checkup frequently, and if you have already taking Hydroxychloroquine for a long period, the doctor would always suggest you have an often eye exam.
- Hydroxychloroquine may cause serious vision problems, so it is better to keep all the appointments precisely also stop taking medicine and check with your doctor promptly.
- If the patient has liver disease or is an alcoholic addict, discuss with your doctor and take serious precautions.
- You must not start consuming this medication under your friend’s or family’s suggestion. It is good to use it only under a doctor’s prescription.
- It is mandatory to have all the medicines you are currently taking and other vitamins, minerals, products supplements.
- Plaquenil has interaction with several other medications, so clear with doctor properly.
- Do carry all the necessary details with you when you consult the doctor.
The above warnings are serious for patients with diabetes, poor heart conditions, kidney and liver disease. So it is acceptable for those patients to note these warnings strictly, and doctors are asked to observe them keenly to avoid future consequences.
Side Effects Of Hydroxychloroquine 200 mg:
Some of the side effects to consider while taking Plaquenil tablet are as follows:
- The patient’s ara asked to check their eyes before the treatment period because Plaquenil may damage your retina.
- Patients with kidney problems and taking Plaquenil for more than five years have a high risk.
- A patient may suffer from sensitivity to light and vision impairment.
- Blurred or changes in vision, and he may suffer from seeing light flashes or streaks
- Usage of Plaquenil may cause a severe drop in blood sugar which would lead to unconsciousness or death.
- In some cases, a patient who is using Plaquenil may have suicidal thoughts
- Loss or difficulty in hearing
- Ringing in the ears
- Sore muscles
- Unusual bleeding or bruising may cause further infection
- Drowsiness, nausea, and vomiting
- Losing of hair
- Sudden changes in a mood
- Uneven heartbeat
- Signs of liver disease and infection
- Worsening of skin condition
- Loss of appetite
Alternative Choice Here:
Can you take Plaquenil every day (Hydroxychloroquine)?
To treat rheumatoid arthritis or lupus, Plaquenil can be taken daily. If Hydroxychloroquine is consumed for malaria treatment, it is followed as the tablet is taken once a week on the same day of each following week. You are asked to take medicine before two weeks moving into a malarial area. Usually, the initial dosage is 200-400mg daily.
And later, based upon your body’s response to the treatment, your doctor will reduce the dosage. If you sense your body is well controlled and the results are improvised, the patients are advised to consume Hydroxychloroquine only 2 to 3 times per week. However, Plaquenil is the most commonly prescribed antimalarial drug, and only 1 out of 5000 people suffer from damage if they continue to take medicine for more than five years.
How Long Does It Take for Hydroxychloroquine 200 mg
Plaquenil shows its reaction in probably 1-3 months or more extended time for some patients. In this period patient must start feeling better and must sense the benefit of the treatment. However, it may take time of 1 year to get fully better results. But the patient must avoid taking medicine if he finds out it is not working and has zero results in all these treatment periods. Also, make sure you won’t bind the other drug by taking both at the same time. The infection may get worse.
Can I buy Hydroxychloroquine 200 mg online without a prescription?
Plaquenil is a medically prescribed medicine. So the medical prescription is mandatory whether it is purchased online on medical websites or through any local pharmacies. A legitimate doctor’s prescription is needed to avoid any confusion and deliver it to the patient’s doorstep safely. Online websites ensure their customer’s privacy and security as their utmost concern. After buying it, store it a room temperature at a safe distance from pets and children.