Nitric Oxide Nasal Spray (NONS):
Glenmark launches first COVID-19 (coronavirus) nasal spray – FabiSpray . The treatment claims to check the virus in the nose itself. Two years after the first COVID-19 case was found, Glenmark and its Canada based partner SaNotize Research and Development Corp have launched a nasal spray named FabiSpray — a Nitric Oxide Nasal Spray (NONS) to treat the virus To be marketed under the brand name FabiSpray, the treatment is intended for Covid-19 patients at increased disease progression risk.
Fabi Spray for covid-19 Treatment:
1) Nitric Oxide Nasal Spray (FabiSpray) will be useful in the treatment of adult patients with COVID-19 who have a high risk of progression of the disease.
2) FabiSpray, Nitric Oxide Nasal Spray (NONS), according to Glenmark, is designed to kill the COVID-19 virus in the upper airways.
3) It has proven anti-microbial properties with a direct virucidal effect on SARS-CoV-2. NONS when sprayed over the nasal mucosa
4) It acts as a physical and chemical barrier against the virus, preventing it from incubating and spreading to the lungs, the company explained.
5) FabiSpray has been developed for the treatment of adult patients of Covid-19 who have a high risk of progression of the disease.
6) Terming the spray an effective and safe antiviral treatment for COVID-19, Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd’s Chief Commercial Officer Robert Crockart said “we are confident it will offer patients a much needed and timely therapy option.”
7) The Phase 3 trials of the spray in India demonstrated a reduction of viral load by 94 percent in 24 hours and 99 percent in 48 hours.
8) Glenmark received manufacturing and marketing approval from India’s drug regulator, Drugs Controller General of India, for Nitric Oxide Nasal Spray as part of the accelerated approval process.
9)”In the current scenario, with new emerging variants exhibiting high transmissibility, NONS provides a useful option in India’s fight against COVID-19,” said Dr. Monika Tandon, Senior VP and Head of Clinical Development in Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
10) “As per studies conducted in the Utah State University USA, NONS is proven to kill 99.9 percent of SARS-Cov-2 virus including Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, and Epsilon variant within 2 minutes.” she said.